Friday, March 26, 2010

Support of my parishioners

March 26, 2010

During the past month I have been with more than the usual number of people who have been dying.

What made this past month unique was not the number of persons I was with but the fact that most of these people were conscious, coherent and able to communicate. This was a great gift for me and I hope for the dying and their families.

On one occasion when I was walking back to the parking garage to pick up my car at Kingston General Hospital after spending precious time and conversation with a person who was dying, I thought, “I hope the parishioners back at St. Paul The Apostle know how important they are” – it is because of them that I am able to be here in these important moments. It is because of your support - financial support, moral support and the spiritual support of your prayers that I am able to be present in these important moments of life.

Know how much you are valued and that you are such an important part of my ministry.

Father Leo Byrne