Monday, January 4, 2010

Thoughts for the New Year

January 4, 2010

Just getting started on this "Blog Business" but thought since I am priviledged to be part of such a vibrant community of St. Paul |The Apostle and was ordained before the Secondd Vatican Council - Mass in Latin with my back to the people and all that (April 29, 1962) - I have an interesting perspective on church and society gathered from all those great people I have met over the years.

Truth is I was encouraged - more like pushed - by Deacon Carney to get going on this blog.

Just started preparing my homily for next Sunday January 10.

Found myself hoping you could all hear that first reading tonight before you go to bed. "Comfort, O comfort my people." "She has served her term, her penalty is paid...she has recieved from the Lord's hand double for all her sins"

OK that means all of us who drag things around for years and God is saying "Let it go" I have bigger and better things for you than carrying false guilt. That isn't a healthy way to live and blocks all kinds of positive growth.

This weekend - Saturday and Monday I will be leading parent for first Reconciliation - talking about sin guilt and all that stuff. I think I will read that passage to set the tone.

These are my favourite parent meeetings because we can get into all that real gutsy stuff.

Give yourself a gift and tonight before you go to bed read that passage from Isaiah if you have a Bible Isaiah 40:1-5 and 9-11 and sleep a lot easier knowing tht you don't have to carry the world on your shoulders
and you know what there is a God who is so anxious to forgive you.

Father Leo